Friday, July 13, 2012

The Periodic Table in Art - Lithium


The origin of the name Lithium is "Lithos."  In Greek, lithos means "stone."  Lithium is the first metal on the Periodic Table.  It is used to make special glasses and ceramics such as the 200 inch mirror on the Mount Palomar telescope.   Lithium is the lightest metal.  It can be mixed with other metals to manufacture airplanes.

My inspiration for this art was the Greek origin of the name that means stone.  So I decided to use a Greek stone structure or a pillar.  I found the pillar picture in an antique architectural manual.  Then I used an x-acto blade to cut it out.  For the letters, I used the Epilson and photoshopped it to create the letters L and i.  Then I used the letter Sigma for the number 3, but glued it backwards to look like the number.  I used mod podge as the collage medium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment