Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Periodic Table in Art - Hydrogen

I've decided to make the Periodic Table of Elements using different art forms to represent each element.  I research an element and then I write notes about its history and uses.  Then I decide what art media I'm going to use for the element, and I try to choose media that helps represent that element.  I'll share them on this blog as I create them.  There are a lot of elements so it might take awhile . . .


Hydrogen

The name hydrogen comes from the Latin base, hydro and genes, or "water forming."  Recognized first by Henry Caverdish in 1766, hydrogen is the simplest and most abundant element in the universe.  Most stars burn hydrogen for "fuel."  Scientists are trying to make cars that run on hydrogen instead of fossil fuels.  Hydrogen can be mixed with oil to make Transfat or with liquid oxygen to make rocket fuel.

For my art, I was inspired by the Greek name, hydro genes, "water forming."  I used waves to represent hydrogen as a part of water.  The stars represent real stars burning hydrogen.  The stars also represent the universe, since hydrogen makes up 90% of the universe.  Keeping the water theme, I used wax resist with watercolor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment