Sunday, October 7, 2012

Precious Metal Clay Leaf Pendant






For my Grandmother's 70th Birthday, I made her a sterling silver necklace in my PMC class.  PMC stands for Precious Metal Clay.  It is 99.97% silver (Sterling) particles that have been suspended in rice paste (aka Mochi!).  You can sculpt it like clay and fire it in a kiln where the mochi burns off and just leaves the silver.  Then you polish and tumble it 'til the silver shines. 

This design was made from a real leaf that I imprinted into a piece of the PMC 3.  I set a stone and made a bail (loop) that looks like the stem folded over.  When polishing, I added a patina of sulfur oxide (it smelled like rotten eggs, but it gave it a goldish tone). 

My mom gave me a chain to go with the pendant.  My Grandma loved it and she wears it all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment